Central Ohio Technical College banner ad

Coshocton Elks to pass out smoke detectors Dec. 8

| December 6, 2012

COSHOCTON – The Coshocton Elk’s Lodge 376 and the Coshocton Fire Department have teamed up to make this a safer holiday season in Coshocton. Since 2001, the Coshocton Fire Department, with the assistance of community partners, has passed out approximately 200 smoke detectors each year to the kindergarten students in the Coshocton City Schools. This year, through a grant, the Coshocton Elks Lodge 376 has been able to purchase an additional 200 smoke detectors to pass out to members of the community who do not have smoke detectors in their homes.

Two thirds of fire deaths occur in homes without working smoke detectors. The simple act of placing and maintaining smoke detectors can drastically increase the chances of everyone getting out alive. Smoke detectors are especially important this time of year due to the fact that we bring live Christmas trees into our homes and decorate with lights and candles for the holidays. We also increase the chances of fires due to the increase of cooking family meals.

From 2005 – 2009, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 240 home structure fires that were started with Christmas trees per year. These fires caused 13 deaths, 27 injuries, and $16.5 million in direct property damage annually. A recent study showed that within three seconds of ignition, a dry scotch pine is completely ablaze; within 40 seconds, a flashover occurs that engulfs the entire room and releases dense, deadly, toxic smoke. Keep your Christmas tree well watered, and dispose of it when the needles become brittle and begin to drop.

During that same time period, an estimated 12, 860 home structure fires started by candles were reported to local fire departments. These fires resulted in an estimated 136 civilian deaths, 1,041 civilian injuries and an estimated direct property loss of $471 million.

Two of every five reported home fires start in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home.

Smoke detectors should be placed on every level of the home. Batteries should be changed twice per year; when you change your clocks for daylight savings time, change the batteries in your smoke detectors. Test your smoke detectors to be sure they work and do not disable them if they go off during cooking.

Extension cords are used more this time of year than perhaps any other. According to a 2010 National Fire Protection Association report, 1,540 noncontained residential fires were directly caused by extension cords, causing $58 million in property damage; the fires killed 88 people and injured 98. The report noted that 570 of the fires started in a bedroom. Many residents were using extension cords as a permanent alternative to adding outlets. Running extension cords under furniture and rugs will cause them to heat up and break down, starting a fire. Do not overload extension cords and do not place them through doors where they can be pinched and walked on, breaking the fine wires inside.

Fire safety needs to be on our minds throughout the year, but even more so during the holidays. 

The Coshocton Elks Lodge 376 and the Coshocton Fire Department will be passing out the 200 smoke detectors at the Coshocton Fire Department on Dec. 8. Simply stop at the Coshocton Fire Department, 325 S. 7th Street, Coshocton, between the hours of 1 and 3 p.m. to pick up a smoke detector. 

The Coshocton Elks Lodge 376 and the Coshocton Fire Department wish all of you a very safe and happy holiday season.

Category: Clubs & Organizations

About the Author ()

Article contributed to The Beacon.

Comments are closed.