Central Ohio Technical College banner ad

United Way of Coshocton County receives 10th annual certification

| August 17, 2017

COSHOCTON – Out of the last 10 years, the United Way of Coshocton County has received a big “thumbs up” every year from United Way Worldwide (UWW). This annual certification is required for every member United Way because if they don’t meet their requirements, they can’t conduct business as a United Way. There are nine core certification requirements.
First, they must be recognized as exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Every year they must file IRS form 990 in a timely manner which must be reviewed by their Board of Directors prior to filing and must make it available to the public upon request.
Second, they must comply with all applicable legal, local, state and federal operating and reporting requirements. They must reveal if there is an investigation for any violations of local, state and federal laws. They must conduct anti-terrorism compliance measures, comply with the provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley which includes whistleblower protection and document retention and destruction policies and they must be currently registered to conduct charitable solicitations at the state and local level.
Third, they are required to have an active, responsible, and voluntary governing body which ensures effective governance over the policies and financial resources of their organization. The board must meet at least quarterly; approve the annual budget; have at least two board members with financial experience; review financial statements at least quarterly; review and approve fund distribution decisions; review its bylaws and governing policies at least every three years; and, engage an external auditor and the audit is must be presented to the full board.
Fourth, they must adhere to a locally developed and adopted statement to ensure volunteers and staff broadly reflect the diversity of the community they serve.
Fifth, they must represent themselves as a United Way in accordance with all UWW trademark standards and requirements, including those contained in the licensing agreement.
Sixth, they must provide financial support to UWW in accordance to the membership investment formula which is 1% of money during our campaign. The other 99% stays in Coshocton County! UWW member benefits include products and services to enhance their work locally and collectively as a network.
Seventh, they must adhere to a locally developed and adopted code of ethics for volunteers and staff, which includes provisions for ethical management, publicity, and fundraising practices, with full and fair disclosure.  All staff and board must annually review and sign a conflict of interest and code of ethics statement.
Eighth, they must have an annual audit conducted and year-end financial statements prepared by an independent certified public accountant whose examination complies with generally accepted auditing standards and accounting principles.  The audit must be an unqualified “clean” audit.  The board must review the auditor’s management letter and take appropriate actions to minimize any risks identified
Ninth, they must conduct and submit to UWW every three years a business performance self-assessment of their community impact work, financial management, organizational governance and decision making.
The United Way of Coshocton is proud of their big “thumbs up.”  It’s a lot of work, but it’s critical that their donors and volunteers are confident in their investment in United Way of Coshocton County.

If you have any questions about the United Way either go to their website at www.coshoctonunitedway.org or call the office at (740)622-4567.

Tags: ,

Category: Clubs & Organizations

About the Author ()

Article contributed to The Beacon.

Comments are closed.